Plant Growth Rooms
Plant Growth Rooms
Darwin Chambers Company provides Plant Growth Rooms that are engineered for maximum value, sustainability, and conformance with USDA-APHIS standards, as applicable. Our plant growth rooms are modular, reconfigurable, and are offered both as standard and as entirely customizable systems—from panel configuration to available surface finishes, to nearly unlimited lighting and humidification/water distribution options, to movable, adjustable storage and racking/shelving options—we can work to meet each researcher’s unique and specific requirements.Design and Purpose
- PG walk in room is a 1,2 or 3 tier plant growth chamber. The construction materials are well insulated with optimal coatings, come standard with remote interface (programming, data retrieval etc.), and utilize a drop-in refrigeration system for ease of repair. This unit is designed to outlast, outperform, and be easier to maintain.
- The lighting that is included standard with programmed dimming capabilities to achieve 500-1000 μmol/m2/s (6”) of broad PAR 5000K making this useful for entomology, arabidopsis, tissue culture, C3, C4, medicinal plant, algae, and general corn, wheat or soybean plant studies. Dimming is “all at once” type. Fixtures are easy to clean, white powder-coated aluminum with robust sealed LEDs. Fixtures are attached to (removable) shelves above and can be manually height adjusted in 1” increments as study needs change.
- Open wire green epoxy coated steel capable of supporting 600lbs/shelf evenly supported
- Green Epoxy – Darwin’s Green Epoxy Coated Wire Shelf is an economical solution for high humidity applications. The carbon steel is treated with an iron phosphate base. A hybrid epoxy with an antibacterial agent is electrostatically applied.
- Controls – Touchpad, UPS
- Humidification and/or Dehumidification w/programmability
- Window (w/light tight cover), Stainless Exterior or Interior, Custom Sizes
- Condensate Recirculation, Pan, or Pump
- Lighting – Broad Spectrum, Custom, Dimmable with Closed Loop Control, T5, T8
- Cooling – Water Cooled Compressors
- CO2 Monitoring or Control
- Industrial grade, top-mount, air cooled hot-gas bypass system is used for extended life and tight temperature control. System is designed to be drop-in for easier repair/replacement. Industry-leading 3-year warranty for cooling components. PG walk ins come standard with polymer coated evaporator coils.
- Please see diagram for airflow designed for minimal plant disturbance and maximum uniformity.
- Users can view actual value and set point from front of the chamber as the actual PID controllers are placed in this location. The controllers can still be interfaced with or locked out, and only controlled via the virtual touchscreen. The virtual touchscreen is a CE and UL listed feature that can be accessed through the free viewer app (Easy Access) provided from a mobile device or desktop. Normal customer set-ups monitor or program multiple chambers through a phone or PC. Included advantages:
- Data logging with the ability to verify the integrity of the data via the EASY Convertor tool
- USB storage up to 32GB can be used for data log files and accessed via web browser or FTP. These files can be emailed daily and weekly
- Built in 4GB flash memory and RTC (Real Time Clock)
- Allows for users to be logged in while having different levels of access, also includes an automatic log off function
- Alarm notification: Preprogrammed email or text (phone carrier name required) will be setup that contains brief trouble shooting help notes and phone number plus link to Darwin Chambers technical support team. Chamber(s) can be named by user to identify which chamber is in alarm. Preprogrammed text and email alarm events able to be categorized to different levels. Email and/or text will also be sent to notify user when chamber goes back into spec and is out of alarm.
- SD card slot for expansion of storage and one USB hot port and 2 gigabit ethernet ports
- Programmable temperature and dimming of lights
CSA certified control panel (UL equivalent)
*Personnel emergency alarm: illuminated pull to reset push-button (inside room), control panel mounted visual and audible alarm. Includes glow in the dark label and a glow in the dark antimicrobial pull cord that can trigger alarm when pulled, a life saving feature for injured personnel lying on the floor.
*After reviewing the standard Plant Growth room and installation special below, please contact us if you have any specific lighting, temperature, or room sizing needs.
Plant Growth Room and Installation Special: $48,896*
- Chamber temperature: 10°C to 40°C lights on. 4°C to 40°C lights off
- Chamber temperature control at sensor/set-point: ±0.2°C.
- Chamber humidity: Available at an additional charge, specify humidity desired.
- Note: Temperature and relative humidity specifications assume standard operation in a controlled ambient condition of 72°F ± 8°F and a dew-point at or below 50°F. Demonstrated performance of similar installations at 25°C (according to mapping performed using 24 type “T”; thermocouples in conjunction with a Kaye 2000 validator) has repeatedly been documented with a maximum variance of better than ±0.4°C and throughout the storage space, over a recorded 24-hour period.
- Chamber size, exterior (actual): 9’8” W x 9’8” L x 8’2″ H.
- Modular panels are 100% poured-in-place polyurethane construction, R-Value 31+.
- 4” urethane insulated ceiling and walls. Chamber is floorless. This foam has zero Global Warming Potential and zero VOC’s, without sacrificing thermal efficiency.
- Panel surface finish: Interior, embossed white aluminum. Exterior, embossed white galvanized steel.
- Door 36” with keyed entry
- Shelving green epoxy coated wire shelving as shown.
- Optional Antimicrobial Coating on door handle to reduce the spread of bacteria and pathogens.
- Controls to be mounted in an automation control panel located per customer instruction.
- Virtual touchscreen controller.
- NIST-traceable 100 OHM Platinum RTD temperature sensor with calibration certificate.
- Dual display of actual and set point temperature.
- Solid state control relays wherever possible.
- High/Low Temperature alarms with dry contact remote output, settable in 0.1°C increments.
- Condensing unit: One top-mounted unit, capable of cooling room to required conditions. Condenser is designed to run at all times to eliminate poor temperature control and uniformity inherent in cycling-type systems. Precision Fluid Temperature Control Unit at no extra charge.
- Evaporator/Air Handler: Low profile.
- All materials and freight to jobsite (within the contiguous USA), installation, startup, and documentation by Darwin Chambers Company.
- Customer responsible for: Taxes, licenses, fees, permits, third party labor, bonds, possible hoisting and/or egress to installation site; site preparation; final electrical connections to customer-supplied fused disconnects; final water and drain connections.